Thursday, September 11, 2008

where were you when the world stopped turnin...

well before this day is actually over, i feel the need to write about september 11th. i was watching a fantastic episode of FRIENDS today...in season 5...and they showed the sun behind the new york city skyline...right behind the twin towers. i paused the screen,took a good look...put on some music and just wrote in my journal a bit...i suppose this is my chance to reflect in a slightly more public forum. we'll never forget where we were or what we were doing that day. i remember mom waking me up telling me the pentagon was on fire...that sounded pretty serious so i popped right up out of bed (that in itself tells you something is up)...i remember watching the news and seeing the towers actually falling...i can still see the news reporters just stop talking and start crying...i remember the sky seemed so empty...and eery,yet almost peaceful. i remember driving to school...my first semester at utsa, i remember seeing the flag flying at the whataburger at blanco &1604...it brought tears to my eyes. i remember my texas history professor would only allow us to discuss it for the first 30 minutes of class...because we absolutely had to cover some material...as if anyone was thinking about texas history that day. besides alan jackson's song that came afterwards...there are two songs that i remember from that day..."overcome" by live...and "hero" by enrique iglesias. well i suppose this has gotten longer than i thought it would. i guess this would be the appropriate entry to end with something besides "good times"...what comes to mind is...God bless America...the land of the free,because of the brave.
http://911research.wtc7.net/wtc/info/docs/twin_towers1.jpg
we will never forget 9-11-01

2 comments:

Angie said...

I was just thinking about what I remember of that day.

I was teaching Spanish. Didn't get a lot of that done that day, either.

They didn't want us to do nothing but watch TV ... but that's where the kids' heads were.

Amy said...

I always liked that song, mainly because the message of it was so much more constructive than Toby Keith urging us to put our collective boot in...well, you know. :)

I was in England on 9-11. It was weird to be there--it felt kind of wrong not to be home. We watched the news all afternoon at a member's house and just kind of sat there not talking. I came home about 6 months later, so I never really got to see what the initial reaction was like here at home.