Sunday, April 10, 2011

Tim is oscar mike

I have been very passionate about all things military since I can remember...my earliest days were spent running around an Army base in camouflage and dog tags-waking up at the crack of dawn to go out and salute the soldiers running by doing their morning PT. I have always been very proud of my Dad Col. Forrest W. Oliverson. I now have a few brothers in law who are in the military and I'm proud and honored of my association with them. I've always looked up to my big brother, Spc. Tim Oliverson. He is a humble man of great faith and I respect and love him a great deal. I know he's a fine soldier. Within a matter of hours he will be stepping into harm's way in the defense of our great nation. We said goodbye to him via video chat tonight...and it was my honor to salute my big brother. May Heavenly Father watch over, protect, and be with Tim, and all the troops as they sacrifice and serve. I also pray for Amy, Clara, and the Little Colonel...as a deployment is a huge challenge for the family staying behind as well. Every day I pray for the troops and their families...but those prayers will take on a whole other meaning now. I'm reminded of one of my favorite passages of scripture, about a humble soldier Captain Moroni. It has inspired me each of the numerous times that I've read and thought about it...it means a great deal to me and brought me great comfort as I read and pondered it tonight.

And it came to pass that he rent his coat; and he took a piece thereof, and wrote upon it--In memory of our God, our religion, and freedom, and our peace, our wives and our children--and he fastened on his head-plate, and his breastplate, and his shields, and girded on his armor about his loins; and he took the pole which had on the end thereof his rent coat, (and he called it the title of liberty) and he bowed himself to the earth, and he prayed mightily unto his God for the blessings of liberty to rest upon his brethren, so long as there should a band of Christians remain to possess the land--


I am proud of my family's devotion and sacrifice for a chosen land, and am honored at the thought of someday calling myself an American soldier. God bless the troops and God bless America.

Para siempre Dios esté con vos.

3 comments:

Chrissy said...

I can't go into work all cryin' and stuff!!!

Good bye and good luck, Tim! We will be thinking of you every day.

Amber Faull said...

Zach, I can distinctly remember you with your camo and little curls running around the base. You were always playing "army guys" and saluting the soldiers. So cute, you'll be a great Lt soon. I'm proud of you, Tim, Dad and Matt. I know this is a rough time for Tim and Amy and the kids. I was thinking of them all day yesterday knowing how they were feeling. Good luck, Tim! We love you.

Diane said...

I am choked up and don't know what to say. This is a touching post. I honor our men and women in uniform and pray for their safety.