Friday, October 17, 2008

...yikes!!!


well i made the 4 hour drive to ft. worth texas to go to a highly anticipated matchup between tcu and byu. i was hoping for a good game...unfortunately, the byu football team didn't quite make it to texas. they got it handed to them. this smile in the picture i took pregame was about the last time i smiled. i was actually pretty fired up before hand. there was a pretty good turnout of byu fans...and max hall was jumping up and down getting us fired up...then they did the haka and i was stoked. but the good times were over after the opening kickoff. after a while i resorted to entertainment from the byu cheerleaders...which for me is actually a pretty big deal. don't get me wrong i still watched the football...it just got old seeing byu go three and out over and over again. plus i had a lot of whiny and ignorant fans around me. i don't expect people's knowledge of the game and/or players to be on my level...but if you're gonna be all whiny ya gotta know what you're talking about. all in all though, i had a good time. i enjoyed the little road trip there and back. so it was still good times.

6 comments:

Chrissy said...

IS that a smile in the picture, or more of a 'I have NO idea what to expect from this game but I'm gonna sure try and enjoy myself' :)

Zach O. said...

wow...well done.

Tim said...

I would consider myself an ignorant spectator of sports, which is why I try to avoid commenting about them for fear of upsetting knowledgeable superfans. I'm not whiny though, because I rarely give a hoot about the outcome of these events. I think sports fan psychology is a fascinating topic. It amazes me how much people can care about a team through this odd sort of vicarious superiority complex.

Did anyone accompany you on the road trip?

Zach O. said...

yea it is quite ridiculous how much i care about certain sports teams. it would be in interesting pyschological study i'm sure. i have no problem w/ people not caring or knowing much...it's just that this guy had a whiny voice and he said something after every play...usually something dumb. it was all i could do to just keep to myself. i made the trip solo. i actually enjoyed the long drive by myself...although i'm sure i wouldn't have minded the company of a senorita.

Tim said...

I think BYU is kind of good at having whiny fans, especially guys who think they're cool. Sorry the game was such a let down.

I used to think professional sports were kind of dumb and a big waste of resources, even though I've always liked watching a Spurs game or an old Superbowl documentary video now and then. But I've developed some interesting social science theories about them that have helped me see it all with a different perspective. I certainly think that there are still dumb things about it(like the salaries involved), but I don't think negatively about professional sports and all that goes along with them any more. And I've always been impressed with how much of a dedicated fan you are without being a typical ignoramus sports nut.

I used to really enjoy my solo road trips. I made the journey from Provo to San Antonio and back a few times by myself. It was nice going through the deserts and other southwest landscapes in contemplative solitude.

Zach O. said...

yea i can imagine where some of those stretches through new mexico or west texas could definitely be some good pondering time. i-35 from san antonio to ft. worth never quite seems to really get out into the country...but it was still a good time for reflection...especially at about 130 or 2 in the am.