Monday, May 25, 2009

The land of the free and the home of the brave.

i have fond memorial day memories that i think about every memorial day. one of them is sean elliott's "memorial day miracle"...the greatest shot in spurs franchise history. as much as i love the spurs that memory pales in comparison when i consider the meaning of memorial day. today, (and every day) i honor the many brave who have sacrificed so much, even everything, for this great nation. i was touched numerous times during a memorial day themed church meeting yesterday...and these words from "America the Beautiful" particularly struck a chord with me...
O beautiful for heroes proved 
In liberating strife. 
Who more than self their country loved
And mercy more than life! 

God bless America.

3 comments:

Chrissy said...

Had a good memorial day with you, Zacho. I definitely feel a lot more patriotic with you in my life :)

Diane said...

I guess it is safe to comment now, without looking like a blog stalker, that I am. One of the things I like best about you is your patriotism...it is my feeling that it speaks to a person's integrity and character when they show reverence and honor to their country. It is my observation that patriotism spills over into all aspects of our lives...showing honesty, integrity, and faith in all that we do. A true patriot honors all that truely matters in life...God, family, country.

Amber Faull said...

Well said, Zach. I second that (well maybe not the Spurs part-I like them but I don't remember the Memorial Day shot).