Sunday, January 24, 2010

un día especial

I flew out to Maryland this weekend for a very special experience. While serving in Winchester, VA I became very close to Salvador Flores and his family. He was baptized a few days before I got transferred there, and I got to teach him the recent convert lessons and watch him grow in the gospel. I participated in his ordination to the Aaronic Priesthood and watched him baptize his wife Sandra and daughter Fátima...I also got to teach him how to prepare and bless the sacrament...and then sat with him as he did it for the first time. I gave members of his family priesthood blessings, and was amazed by their faith....I ate many a delicious meals of carne asáda, frijoles negros, and ensalada on Saturday afternoons. And we played many a games of futbol together. I learned a lot from his family and greatly appreciate their example of humility and faith. They are an amazing family. Yesterday I was at the Washington D.C. Temple as Salvador and Sandra went through the temple together and then were sealed to their three little girls. It was an experience I'll cherish forever. I will never forget sitting there in the temple and looking over at Salvador and he just grinned at me and waved. I was filled with an overwhelming feeling I can only describe as a tender mercy of the Lord. As I hugged both of them they both said, "gracias por venir." I wouldn't have missed it for the world. Indeed my friends, there are a few times in life when you realize what good times really are...yesterday was one of those for me.

5 comments:

Diane said...

Occasionally in my life, things come up that seem almost easier to pass up than go to the trouble and expense of participating in. But when it was all over, the priceless memory stays warm forever. I am glad you got to go, and I know Salvador and Sandra cherish it.

Barlow Fam said...

Wow, what an amazing opportunity to go and be part of that. I'm so glad you got to be there.

Marci said...

How neat that you were able to be there for that!

Angie said...

That is cool. I'm glad you stayed in touch with people from your mission. I still talk off and on with a few of the missionaries. And one convert that I sort of talk to on FB. But that's it.

Tyler & Michelle said...

That is so awesome you got to go for that experience. Hard work does pay off!