Sunday, November 23, 2008

thanksgiving

well it is the week of thanksgiving...a most wonderful time of the year. i love it. there's the three great f's....family,food,and football. the weather begins to turn a bit cooler. the christmas season that i love begins to kickoff...it's really no wonder that it's timmy duncan's favorite holiday. so i was reading my favorite talk this morning...elder dallin h. oaks' the challenge to become. he speaks of how most of our real growth comes from the times of hardship and challenge.i certainly witness of this principle and know that it's how we respond to adversity that matters. yet we have the promise that no matter how dark friday may get...sunday will always come. i love that. so it got me thinking about how i'm grateful for the challenges i've faced in my life,for they've helped me to become the man that i am...and they've helped me realize who the man is that i hope to be someday. so i'm thinking about being grateful...and i decided that seeing as how i'm fixin to celebrate my 27th thanksgiving, i'd list 27 things i'm grateful for. here they are:
  • my Savior Jesus Christ
  • the Book of Mormon
  • living Prophets and Apostles
  • the Spirit
  • the Temple
  • a mighty change of heart
  • my family
  • my heritage
  • my country (United States of America)
  • my home (the great state of Texas)
  • my mission
  • tim duncan,manu ginobili,tony parker,david robinson,gregg popovich,michael jordan,steve young,mack brown,vince young,colt mccoy
  • 4 glorious 'ships from the fellas ('99,'03,'05,'07)
  • university of Texas football
  • friends (real ones and the tv show)
  • good books
  • tex-mex,steak,and other delightful foods
  • funny movies
  • country music (and all other types of good music)
  • my shoes
  • a good run on a crisp,cold winter morn
  • the hot shower that follows that run
  • Christmas time
  • the feeling of competition
  • cowgirl boots (seriously...very nice)
  • those who've sacrificed so much for my country and my religion
  • love,hope,joy,peace
comment if you actually read this far...longest post ever? good times y'all.

8 comments:

Yangster said...

ok I admit, I had to go back and ACTUALLY read every line. I kinda skimmed it. It is a very good list. Very you. Church, sports, TX. My favs: Friends reference, cowgirl boots cause I remember you saying that's one reason why you like Taylor Swift, and the championship b/c it reminds me of Guestures.

Zach O. said...

well i appreciate you going back and reading...but i must also say that the cowgirl boots...not so much w/ taylor swift...with her i just like the music.

Chrissy said...

#28. chapstick

So you don't like Taylor's boots, but I got the nod on Friday night? I'm quite flattered.

Zach O. said...

haha,chapstick huh? i'll allow you to remain flattered about the boots,they were solid...but also note that taylor really couldn't get the nod because she's what 17,18? not to belittle my valuable compliment or anything.

Amber Faull said...

Dallin H. Oaks got off the plane I was working on Sunday. He was waiting for his carry-ons and making everyone laugh with a funny story. It was cool. Good list of thankfulness. I need to do that on my blog.

Zach O. said...

that's awesome that you saw dallin h! kinda cool how you get to see the occasional random celebrities there at the airport.

Angie said...

That was a good list. My little bro is all eloquent. And stuff.

Rebex said...

Longest post...and most comments? Great list. I'd write one too but...I'm much too lazy. LOL! Happy Thanksgiving!