Tuesday, June 22, 2010

On this day...


...June 22,1987...the San Antonio Spurs selected David Robinson from the U.S. Naval Academy with the first overall pick in the NBA draft. Big Dave came to San Antonio and changed a franchise. He's been a model citizen and a great role model here in the area, and he excelled greatly on the basketball court winning multiple NBA championships and receiving numerous accolades including league MVP. I remember when we moved here I got his rookie card and was excited to have the card of a player right here in the new place I lived. I grew up in the city along with big Dave and grew quite fond of him and the Spurs. One day about two years ago I was running an errand at the local grocery store and saw a giant standing in front of a wall of Cheez-it crackers. Turned out, if you bought a box, you got to meet big Dave and take a picture with him. Best box of crackers I ever had! It was an honor to meet him. I appreciate all the memories and good times 5-0.

3 comments:

Diane said...

I KNEW there was something about June 22...I just couldn't place it 'till I read your post.

I like this photo of you two, very cute.

Charlene said...

I remember the day you walked through the door with a box of Cheez-its and a big grin on your face. Makes me smile to think of it.

Amber Faull said...

That's a great picture, Zach. I've always liked David Robinson too. I can't claim to be the kind of fan you are, but I've always thought he's a good guy and upstanding citizen. Does he still live down there?