Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Our greatest glory...

...is not in never falling, but in rising each time we fall.


For a number of years, starting in high school, I wasn't interested in anything related to the gospel, and didn't live my life according to its teachings. You very well could say that I "fell". I had a seminary teacher named Don Lindberg, who knew me quite well as he was also the father of a long-time good friend of mine. He seemed to take a special interest in me and tried so hard to get me to attend seminary, knowing that it would have a great influence on me. He once even brought the seminary class to our house. I continued to live how I thought I wanted to live. One day Bro Lindberg approached me and told me he had something he knew would be very special and important to me, and that he wanted to give it to me. He wrote up a contract and told me that either way at the end of the year he would reveal what that item was. I didn't attend seminary and one Sunday afternoon Bro Lindberg came over and showed me an official NFL game ball autographed by my favorite football player of all time, Steve Young. My heart sank when I saw it and it was a sad event for all involved. A number of years later, after a mighty change of heart, I turned course in my life and became worthy to serve a full-time mission. I was excited to notify friends and family the day I received my call to Baltimore, MD. When I told Bro Lindberg he told me he would have something waiting for me when I returned. A few years later, on another Sunday afternoon, Bro Lindberg and his wife came over and presented me with that signed football. I appreciate having that autographed football so much...but the story behind it means so much more to me. I love how the gospel of Jesus Christ provides a way for us to rise each time we fall. For that I am grateful. Good times y'all. Happy Thanksgiving.

2 comments:

Barlow Fam said...

That is an awesome story! You are an awesome story too though, what strength you have and what an example of a true testimony of the gospel of Jesus Christ. Happy Thanksgiving Zach, see you in a few hours. :)

Amber Faull said...

Zach, you're making me cry at work:) I remember that day and it was very cool. I'm thankful to have such great brothers and sisters.